Forum » Microsoft Train Simulator » Materiel
Why creators don't compress ace files ?

Udskriv debat

Why creators don't compress ace files ?
Skrevet af ardennes, 11/5-2005 15:05 (#1)

Hi friends ,

I have download last lynettes on your site ....

To have more place on my hard Disk , I use a program "savetex" created by Paul Gausden ( Decapod ) . It compress all ace files in a folder in DXT1 format as TGATools .... and Route Riter. On all lynettes , I save 13Mo !!!!

I hope that creators try this little program to have lightless packages ....

It is on the site of decapod : http://www31.brinkster.com/decapod/
It is dated 2002 !!!!!

Regards
Brugers avatar
ardennes

Begynder

Antal indlæg: 4

SV: Why creators don't compress ace files ?
Skrevet af jraaby, 11/5-2005 20:21 (#2)

I agree that it's a nuisance, but I can achieve the same effect by using NTFS compression on my Train Simulator folder.
If a file is compressed surely it must be decompressed by MSTS when you try to access it, so the reduction in size may be detrimental to performance.
Brugers avatar
jraaby

Erfaren bruger

Antal indlæg: 888
Alder: 35

Skrevet af Fos, 12/5-2005 01:24 (#3)

Yes it may take time, but all ACE are compressed, they gets extreemly large otherwise. However, the DXT compression is harder in the sense that it actually remove information.

In some textures the quality suffer and in textures width alpha channels the gray tone is changed to black/white only.

With other textures there is no visible difference.
Brugers avatar
Fos

Medlem

Antal indlæg: 51
Bopæl: Østermarksvej 6
Alder: 73

FOS
www.fosweb.dk

Skrevet af Steamhammer, 12/5-2005 13:11 (#4)

But can you reccommend some ways to compress the files Freddy?
Brugers avatar
Steamhammer

Administrator

Antal indlæg: 2332
Bopæl: Skanderborg
Alder: 67

Med venlig hilsen
Mogens (Steamhammer)

Skrevet af jraaby, 12/5-2005 20:28 (#5)

I don't see what's wrong with NTFS compression - it works fine for me (it does not remove any data like DXT, and it is applied to folders and all files within them, so it compresses .s files too).
One way to compress everything might be to make a batch file of some sort (using the command line makeace tool). But it would be easier to use Savetex, if that doesn't DXT everything.
Brugers avatar
jraaby

Erfaren bruger

Antal indlæg: 888
Alder: 35

Skrevet af Steamhammer, 12/5-2005 21:25 (#6)

Jens: I didn't meen that theres something wrong with the NFTS-way but I just want to know if Freddy has something better than that! Smile
Brugers avatar
Steamhammer

Administrator

Antal indlæg: 2332
Bopæl: Skanderborg
Alder: 67

Med venlig hilsen
Mogens (Steamhammer)

Skrevet af ardennes, 13/5-2005 01:33 (#7)

Hi ,

I use also NFTS with Xp , It does'nt make no nuisances to all my files ( 21000 engines and wagons and 140 routes !!!! ).

I have not see many differences between ACE files compressed DXT or not ....

In your routes or your rolling stock you have two formats and TGATools used DXT1 compression . So , why not ?

While using this method , I got much place on my hard disks ....

Try it .....

Regards

ardennes , french simmer
translator ( train Store ) , packages ( wagons ), coauthor of program CONVOI ( a consist builder , testing and reparing rolling stock and activities )... Site in french ( sorry :cry: )
but Program translated in english and deutch ... Wink
http://perso.wana.../index.htm
http://perso.wana...train_sim/ other french site of my friend
coauthor french route "Vallée de la Meuse"
Brugers avatar
ardennes

Begynder

Skrevet af ardennes, 22/5-2005 01:58 (#8)

HI ? FRIENDS ?

I complete my explications over Savetex .... It compress ace files in DXT not in DXT1 . So transparent or translucid textures are not affected ( for cabview for exemple) . So , it causes any dommages at any files. MSTS use ACE files compressed with Savetex as any files uncompressed.

Try it , you got much place on your hard disk.....

Regards
Brugers avatar
ardennes

Begynder

Skrevet af Fos, 24/5-2005 00:27 (#9)

Thanks to ardennes for bringing savetex up, it looks like a good and easy-to-use tool. It can compress all textures on af Route or Trainset, thus saving a lot of space in general. But it can (should) also be used as a design tool to keep the size down even before delivering the stuff, thus saving up/download time and server space as well.

I used the following files created with TGA2Tool standart compression: PU.ACE 273.422 bytes (no trans) and UNDERVOGN.ACE 125.553 bytes (transparent). Then I compressed PU with TGA2Tool using DXT, saved as PU1.ACE 175.063 bytes, 98 kb saved, with no noticeable difference.

Running savetex on these three files resultet in: PU.ACE and UNDERVOGN.ACE was unchanged, but PU1.ACE compressed further to 70.101 bytes a very significant saving, there is a small difference when looking at the image, but it is not visible in MSTS.

That UNDERVOGN is untouched may be on purpose. (as you mentioned) Savetex skip this file because of the 8 bit alpha channel.

But I do not understand why the 273 Kbyte PU.ACE is not beeing compressed by Savetex. (I got the ShapeViewer 1.4.155 and DirectX 9) Any Ideas Angry

In any case, Decapod made another great program, as long as there is no transparency to worry about and the quality does not suffer, it is a good idea to compress as much as possible.
From 273 to 70 Kbytes on a single 512x512 texture is a lot Shock
Its true that it takes time to unpack, but it also takes time to read large files.
Brugers avatar
Fos

Medlem

Antal indlæg: 51
Bopæl: Østermarksvej 6
Alder: 73

FOS
www.fosweb.dk

Skrevet af AndreasM, 25/5-2005 14:06 (#10)

Fos skrev: In any case, Decapod made another great program, as long as there is no transparency to worry about and the quality does not suffer, it is a good idea to compress as much as possible.

Nope, the optimal solution for high quality content would be a native lossless format IMHO. Lossy belongs to the past, or web usage where bandwidth is a factor...

Fos skrev: Its true that it takes time to unpack, but it also takes time to read large files.

Nonsense! DXT(all versions) is the native Direct3D formats, there a hell lot of graphics adaptors out there with native hardware D3D support, which means that you can load the compressed DXT files directly to the adaptor.. Wink
Brugers avatar
AndreasM

Erfaren bruger

Antal indlæg: 681
Bopæl: Brønshøj

Spring til debat:
You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 't compress ace files ?' IN BOOLEAN MODE) AND thread_id != 3335 AND tf.forum_a...' at line 4
Del denne tråd
URL:
BBcode:
HTML: ' class='textbox' style='font-size:11px;width:99%' onclick='javascript:this.select();' />